DSBE, A California Corporation
Children's and Youth Minister St. Bede's Episcopal Church, Menlo Park, California, 94025
Sunday School, St. Bede's Episcopal Church
Image (c) St. Bede's Episcopal Parish, Diocese of California
St. Bede's is a welcoming, intellectually curious, spiritually vibrant, child-affirming Episcopal congregation near Stanford University,with about 90 people in attendance on Sundays. Our recent search for a new rector highlighted the high value we place on our children's and youth ministry. We have a diverse and educated congregation; many are scientists who view science and faith as compatible. St. Bede's is theologically progressive and takes the Bible seriously while disavowing literalism. We currently have about 30 children ages 0-18 in our congregation.
We seek a half-time children's and youth minister to partner with us; to create a sustainable children's and youth ministry using Mark DeVries' model, to strengthen our Sunday school program, to build a program for middle- and high-school youth, and to join our collaborative, highly competent staff. We are looking for a candidate who will not only grow our ministry spiritually and numerically, but grow his/her own leadership skills as the program develops. Compensation is competitive and includes paid vacation as well as funds for continuing education. We are not able to cover relocation costs.
Program Development (60%)
- Work with Children and Youth Team to plan strategically for the spiritual development of children and youth
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement curriculum for Sunday school and youth ministry; create age- and developmentally-appropriate groupings of children and youth; coordinate youth confirmation preparation; some hands-on ministry with children and youth
- Build relationships through regular communication with parents, parish, and community about children's and youth ministry
- Develop intergenerational connections within parish
- Recruit, train, and support a team of volunteers; supervise paid nursery attendant and Sunday school teachers
- Manage children's and youth ministry budget; advocate for resources for children's and youth ministry; attend weekly staff meetings
- Oversee and administer seasonal traditions for children and youth (fall kickoff, Christmas pageant, Shrove Tuesday, Easter egg hunt, parish retreat, Sunday Funday)
- Open to lay or ordained applicants
- Deep and sustaining Christian faith; familiarity with the Episcopal Church a plus
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Experience in spiritual development of children and youth
- Experience organizing a group to accomplish a task
- Experience with program development
- Ability to engage with people of all ages
- Excellent time management skills; organized, proactive, good communicator
- Must complete and remain current with requirements outlined in the Diocese of California's "Called to Right Relationship" policy
Please send a resume, cover letter, and names of three references to The Rev. Gia Hayes-Martin, Rector, at [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed beginning October 5, 2014.